Norwegian Wood(Novel by Haruki Murakami (1987) and a Film by Tran Anh Hung(2010))

 

This is a poster for Norwegian Wood. The poster art copyright is believed to belong to Asmic Ace, Fuji Television.

Cover of Norwegian Wood photo by Markus Klinko & Indrani http://en.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/588156 1st English language edition
Norwegian Wood (ノルウェイの森, Noruwei no Mori) is a 1987 novel by Japanese author Haruki Murakami. The novel is a nostalgic story of loss and burgeoning sexuality. It is told from the first-person perspective of Toru Watanabe, who looks back on his days as a college student living in Tokyo.-Wikipedia



If you are a Haruki Murakami fan, you would definitely say the book is better, but the movie itself has received some accolades, after all,  Tran Anh Hung is an award winning director.  He didn't win for this movie, but he was noticed by different award giving bodies, and was nominated...wait, he did win in the Istanbul International film festival: 
2011Winner
FIPRESCI Prize
International Competition
Noruwei no mori (2010)
If you are one to compare the book and movie, watch the movie first, because if you read it first, well maybe not all of you, you would tend to compare scenes with the book, and most of the time your mind wanders and say, this scene does not convey what the author meant.

I know that adaptations cannot cover everything in the book because of time constraint.  Now, if it's going to be an epic, maybe, but for this type of story, (128 to) 133 minutes is just right.  Yes, the book is definitely better, but Tran Anh Hung's screenplay and direction are not bad.  The actors were able to deliver.  The novel in original Japanese that was translated to different languages is way above par than the movie.  I still love the movie, but not as much as the book. (Ang kulit ko.) 



I love this song


Featuring the upbeat Beatles' Song called NORWEGIAN WOOD
[Verse 1: John Lennon]
I once had a girl
Or should I say, she once had me?
She showed me her room
"Isn't it good, Norwegian wood?"


[Bridge 1: John Lennon & Paul McCartney]
She asked me to stay and she told me to sit anywhere
So I looked around and I noticed there wasn't a chair


[Verse 2: John Lennon]
I sat on the rug
Biding my time, drinking her wine
We talked until two
And then she said, "It's time for bed"


[Bridge 2: John Lennon & Paul McCartney]
She told me she worked in the morning and started to laugh
I told her I didn't and crawled off to sleep in the bath


[Verse 3: John Lennon]
And when I awoke
I was alone, this bird had flown
So I lit a fire
Isn't it good, Norwegian wood?
SOURCE

From Wikipedia
Directed byTran Anh Hung
Produced byChihiro Kameyama
Shinji Ogawa
Screenplay byTran Anh Hung
Based onNorwegian Wood
by Haruki Murakami


Reviews by people I respect:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5-ji Kara 9-ji Made: Watashi ni Koi Shita Obōsan (2015)

잘났어 정말 Also Known As: You're Great, Really! , Just Extraordinary! , You're Really Something! , You are the boss! , Jalnasseo, Jeongmal!

The Brightest Star in the Sky (2019) 夜空中最闪亮的星