SKY CASTLE/ SKY 캐슬(2018)




Written by
Yoo Hyun-mi
Directed by
Jo Hyun-tak


For one reason or another I was not able to finish this series when it was shown on GMA SEVEN so when I saw it on NETFLIX I grabbed the opportunity to watch this during this "pandemic season".   


SKY stands for the three universities the prominent doctors in the community want their children to get into.  S.K.Y. or nothing.

(So why not Sungkyunkwan or KAIST?  Nakialam pa--hehehe---SKKU offers medicine, but I'm not sure if KAIST does)

The problems these families are encountering are very WESTERN influenced, but the way they deal with it are very EASTERN in culture.  


I love the entire ensemble of actors, but I do have favorites:

LEE TAE-RAN- Among all of the actors/actresses in SKY CASTLE, she is the most familiar to me and my mom.  We "met" her first in DAYS OF DELIGHT (where she played opposite THE GREAT KING SEJONG---j/k--- her partner there played The Great King later on), and we liked her in an instant.  We later on learned that she won Best New Actress for her role,  Goo Yoo-jung there, even if it's not her first drama series(she came from SBS where she already won the NEW STAR award for her role in FASCINATE MY HEART(Eun Hee-soo) then transferred to MBC, so I am guessing the best new actress award is because she was then a new transferee---I really wouldn't know).  After that we've seen almost everything she's in, and the most memorable ones are YELLOW HANDKERCHIEF, where she won best actress for her role(Yoon Ja-young), MY ROSY LIFE, and FAMOUS PRINCESSES(aka Chil Sisters/Famous Chil Sisters/Famous Chil Princesses), where she won Top Excellence Award(KBS AWARDS), Actress for her role, Na Seol-chil, where she also Won – KBS Drama Awards: Best Couple Award with Park Hae-jin.

Here, as LEE SOO-IM, she plays a stepmother to the young man with a bright future, HWANG WOO JOO, who was falsely accused of killing _____.  I like her because she's the catalyst of SKY CASTLE, and she's sort of the "balance"...the yin to their yang or the yang to their yin.  

KIM BORA is KIM HYE- NA, a very promising secondary student, who is the nemesis of KANG YE-SEO (her half sister---spoiler---played by Kim Hye-yoon).  Ye-seo is pissed because she likes Hwang Woo Joo, but Woo Joo likes Hye-na.  Plus, Hye-na is naturally intelligent and wise, unlike her.  Kim Bora made me believe that she is Kim Hyena and not Kim Bora.  

OH NA-RA as JIN JIN-HEE.  Lol.  At first I thought her name here was Ji Jin-hee, one of my favorite Korean actors.  Later, I learned that Jin-hee is a unisex name.  Jin mean pearl.  Hee means enjoyment.  Heejin or Jin-hee means precious or pleasure.    Why is she one of my favorites?  Well, Oh Na-Ra is a natural.  Need I say more?

JUNG AE-RI as Madame Yoon.  Her role here may not be big, but it is very important.  She has a commanding presence every time she appears

CHOI WON-YOUNG as Hwang Chi-young.  This very versatile actor is really very impressive, even here.  

Everyone else also did their parts well.  I felt their pain, anguish, joys and victories.  If I didn't care for my computer(and my knuckles) I would've boxed the screen every time I was mad at a character.  That's how good they all were.    



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5-ji Kara 9-ji Made: Watashi ni Koi Shita Obōsan (2015)

잘났어 정말 Also Known As: You're Great, Really! , Just Extraordinary! , You're Really Something! , You are the boss! , Jalnasseo, Jeongmal!

The Brightest Star in the Sky (2019) 夜空中最闪亮的星